Posts

Woodworking advanced

Afbeelding
Temperatures till too low for epoxy jobs in the shed. I have used my time to make holes in the central bulkheads. The bolts which keep the two parts of the boat together, must be put in holes that are drilled in holes filled with epoxy. With that method, the wood will not be in contact with any water. So, drill the holes, fill it with epoxy and drill again with a smaller drill.

Next thing I have done: cutting rabbets at one side of each plank. The planks will overlap a little in order to get a strong connecting. 3 mm of the 6 mm should be removed at one side for half an inch. It was very hard to find the right rabbeting bit for the router. At https://rs-tools.nl/ they had the right (and expensive) one. It went well, so I can attach the parts together. The boat shape will be visible soon!





Epoxyjob 2

Afbeelding
The place where the boat will be divided in two parts, will be made of two bulkheads, both made out of two wooden parts. Today I glued these parts together with thickened epoxy. First I put epoxy on one part, than I put thickened expoy on the other part. I also glued the mastfoot to one piece. The vertical parts of the foot are made of meranti wood. It was very difficult to press everything together. I used two heavy roof tiles. Screwing should have been a better idea. With the rudder head I epoxied the places where the rudder blade will go upward and downward. The handgloves were very handy and the plastic on the scale kept it clean. I was glad that I could lend some extra clamps of my father.

Sanding

Afbeelding
The epoxy of the glued parts has hardened finally. Only after a day. It must have been the temperature in the attic and the temperature of the wood which came out of the cold shed just before the epoxy job. Making every edge of the wood parts smooth is costing more effort than expected, especially the holes in the aft and bow transoms and in the daggerboard. I have made a simple sanding tool on the drill, which will save time. Next thing is to glue the trusses. It is made of 2 x 2 planks, holded together by six bolts. I need to find appropriate bolts with nice butterfly nuts.


Epoxy problems

Afbeelding
I am almost finished with all wooden parts. The only thing left is making the rabet on the planks. The planks of the body are overlapping Therefore the edge of the overlapping plank should be thinner for some centimters. The 6 mm must be 3 mm at that place.
I wanted to glue some parts together with epoxy but the temperture in the shed is too low for the epoxy hardening.
I moved to the attic and put some of the parts together Epoxy mixed with some filler. So far so good.
When I took a look after two hours, the epoxy however had not hardened. Something must have gone wrong. If it it still not hard tomorrow, I have to scrape all epoxy off the wood and start all over. On the photo you see me attaching the skeg to a plumb rule in order to keep it completely straight. Lessons learned: rubber gloves are beter than the ones you see in the picture, first get alcohol for cleaning, than start the epoxy job, put some plastic foil over the scale, try to make a pouring sprout to the canisters of ep…

Wood again

Afbeelding
Yesterday I bought a piece of wood for the tiller of the rudder. The manual told me to get a hard or medium hard piece. This part of the boat is often used as a piece of craftmanship. I could have bought oak instead, but I got meranti. It's often used for window frames. It has a nice reddish colour. Hopefully the wood processing will be easy.

Than I have bought the two sheets of okoume plywood of 6 mm for the hull of the boat. Thanks Bouwmaat for lending me a trailer for free. Next weekend I hope to be able to draw the outer lines of the planks on the sheets and start with sawing. The Japanese saw should be fine for it.



Epoxy

Afbeelding
The epoxy stuff arrived. Most materials for the expoy work could be ordered from one and the same company. Alltogether I'll need a lot of small but essential things. Besides the epoxy (I ordered the 'slow' variant) and the glass cloth, also things like stirring sticks, brushes, rolls, syringes, etc. They told me that the minimum temperature for the epoxy was 8 degrees bit in the package on the instructions was mentioned 12 degrees. Let's not start too early.




Sawing

Afbeelding
For some new parts of the boat I needed wood. The rudder blade and the daggerboard are 12 mm okoume plywood and the seats 18 mm. It wasn't easy to find a supplier of this wood that wanted to sell less the the common 250 x 122 cm. When the employee helped me with loading the boards in my car, the car appeared to be too small. As a service they trasnported it in their own car to my shed. Yesterday I drew the lines of the parts on the wood and sew some parts.

And after emailing Chesapeak and studying the manual, I now know what to buy regarding the glassfiber cloth and the epoxy stuff. I hope to be able to buy it online tonight.

To get an idea of the boat: here is a little video from YouTube.